5G - The new generation in mobile communicationsCopyright: © Pixabay
As successor to 4G (LTE), the 5G network is revolutionizing mobile communications. The 5G technology is up to 100 times faster than LTE and thus makes real-time transmissions possible. Furthermore, an extremely high data rate is available, so that services with high broadband requirements are supported.
Specified 5G performance characteristics:
- Bandwidth for transmission capacities above 10 GBit/s
- Latency of less than 1 ms
- 10 to 100 times the number of connected devices
- 10 times lower energy consumption
- Area-wide 5G access even for less densely populated areas
The lower the frequency, the better the radio waves spread and penetrate possible resistances like walls. However, less data is transmitted. Networks with high frequency are more powerful, but cover less area and penetrate obstacles less effectively.
This is why the frequencies for 5G are higher than for LTE. This is the only way to achieve faster data rates.