Information for Buddies
- You love socializing with people and you would like to make international contacts?
- You would like to be globally engaged, improve your language skills and develop intercultural skills?
- You know your faculty inside out and really know your way around the campus?
If so, we would like you to take part in our international student mentoring program, helping newly enrolled international students during their first weeks at RWTH to find their way around and to meet, mix with, and learn from other students.
Who Can Participate?
- You are a student of RWTH Aachen University, and you have a strong interest in foreign cultures. You would like to meet international students and help them settle in at university and in Aachen.
- You are at last in your second semester at RWTH, having a good grasp of the study opportunities offered by your faculty
- You have excellent German language skills and are also fluent in English or another foreign language.
Your Job as a Buddy
You contact your mentee already prior to his or her arrival at Aachen, answering her questions concerning studying and living in Aachen. Further, you may arrange to welcome your mentee at the train station or airport and accompany them to their apartment. In the first weeks of the term, you should show your mentee around, pointing out the most important institutions, facilities, and points of contact at RWTH. You are to support him or her in coming to terms with student life in Aachen and offer to be her first contact person during her stay. As a rule, buddies and mentees participate in the program for at least three months.
When Do You Look for Buddies?
|Summer Semester:||We expect the first international students in January. The last ones arrive in Aachen in mid-April.|
|Winter Semester:||The new international students arrive in Aachen between June and mid-October.|
When and How Can You Register?
In order to prepare you for your job as a buddy, we offer buddy training sessions, which take place at least once a month. Participation is mandatory.
During the training, the matching process is explained and all questions about the program are answered. The training also contains intercultural sensitization. You will also meet new buddies during the training.
When Is the Next Training?
You can find current training dates in the International Office calendar.
You are the first point of contact if your mentee has questions, especially during the first weeks after their arrival in Aachen.
If there are questions and problems you cannot answer or solve, you can contact the Info Service Center at the International Office at any time.
As a thank you for your dedication and contribution we offer a certificate in two languages testifying to your social and intercultural involvement. Participation in the BeBuddy program can also be recognized as part of the Certificate International.