The Network Renewal of RWTH Aachen University
Today, communication networks represent a fundamental infrastructure of every university, on the basis of which a large part of the processes in research, teaching and administration are built. For RWTH Aachen University as a leading technical university and attractive employer, high-performance and future-proof communications networks are an important locational advantage.
The aim of the project is to renew the active network technology in the university buildings at RWTH Aachen. This includes:
Renewal of switch technology
- Renewal of centrally managed network components
- If necessary, use of device technology to compensate for deficiencies in building cable technology
Expansion of WLAN coverage
- Demand-driven, comprehensive WLAN coverage in the buildings
- Central WLAN technology and associated switch ports
- WLAN access points including installation and associated connection technology
Renewal of the telecommunications system
- Complete replacement of the existing telecommunications system from the year 2000
- Replacement of telephone equipment including licenses
- Introduction of new telephone devices enabling video telephony and conferencing
Renewal covers the existing network infrastructure at the time of application. In the case of investments in expansions such as new buildings, financing is provided as before, e.g., from initial installation funds.
The IT Center is responsible for the appropriate and economical investment of the application funds and is also in charge of implementation.
Network infrastructure measures in university buildings are always carried out in close coordination with the local network contact persons of the respective institution. In order to achieve the common goal - the renewal of the building network infrastructure - the project coordinators of the IT Center depend on their support.
Guidelines in the implementation of the projects:
- Equal treatment of all facilities in network investments
- Targeted elimination of obsolescence of network components
- Standardization of the performance of the data network structures in the buildings
- Promotion of mobile learning and working in all university buildings